I'm still always surprised how one seemingly small event can trigger a cascade of much further-reaching effects.
Yesterday I flew back to Canada from Gatwick, aiming to get to the airport by train from London Bridge. This should be a 30 minute journey - I left V's flat at 11 for a 2.30 flight.
There was a fatality on the tracks at Norwood Junction - a major hub through which all trains heading south of London have to go - around 11am.
Chaos reigned - trains were severely delayed or cancelled. We were sent from London Bridge to Victoria in the hopes that trains heading south would run ok from there. All trains were on "go slow", or "stop" and were filled with anxious people repeatedly glancing at their watches and making desperate phone calls.
My check-in closed at 13.30. I got there at 13.40 along with about 10 other people. We were refused boarding. ARGH. Of course I was on a "cheap" charter flight so there was no option of just transferring onto the next flight (next week anyway). A single flight to Montreal at 5pm would be 144 GBP, plus the extra cost of getting from Montreal to Halifax through some other airline. ARGH.
Just as we were all getting our credit cards out, the check-in man came rushing back and said that the captain had also been delayed due to the trains and had made the decision to let us on the flight! YAAAAAY! We were rushed through check-in, herded through Fast-Track security, then literally ran to our gate with the tannoy announcing "would passengers xxx, Warren, xxx, xxxx... travelling to Halifax please make their way to gate 22 immediately where the flight is due to depart in the next 3 minutes.....". I have never been so glad to get onto a plane.
So my story ended well. Even the luggage made it. Incredible.
London's transport network is like a house of cards. Stable to look at but not to touch. One person's actions affected thousands of people.
Saturday, 15 September 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment