After a very pleasant Family Christmas in Lincoln I flew to Berlin to spend New Year in the big bad city. F was ill when I first arrived but luckily soon recovered (the thought of the doctor was obviously enough to cure him).
In the last few days we have been to the Pergamon museum (full of ancient artifacts and the old city gates of Babylon), we cycled about 30 km of the 155 km long Berlin Wall route, we hiked a good section of the Grunewald, we took a trip to the Baltic sea coast and finally today we visited the aquarium. Life has also been busy with family visits - both sets of parents, one set of grandparents and the siblings. Finally I seem to have met all of the Berlin crowd, although evidently there are more in Rostock.

So this is a unicorn from the gates of the old city of Babylon... Dug up in 1907(?) and transported in full to Berlin and re-built. Just amazing.

Rest stop along the old Berlin Wall route. I had the privilege of riding the heavier bike, with heavy saddle bags and a too-low-saddle. However the saddle on F's bike is definitely made for men only, being knife-sharp and rock hard. So no option there then.

Warnemuende, on the Baltic sea coast. The feel of the place reminded me a lot of similar coastal villages in Holland.

I didn't go for a swim!! D, I need your encouragement - F is crap!!

A lovely jellyfish in the aquarium....

An inquisitive lizard at the aquarium. He caught my attention!
So, 4.5 hours to go before 2008 so I thought I would post this quick update on my activities... There are rockets and firecrackers going off everywhere and we thought we might try to catch the fireworks at the Brandenburger Tor at midnight. Along with a million other people. We'll see!!
Happy New Year to all!
In the last few days we have been to the Pergamon museum (full of ancient artifacts and the old city gates of Babylon), we cycled about 30 km of the 155 km long Berlin Wall route, we hiked a good section of the Grunewald, we took a trip to the Baltic sea coast and finally today we visited the aquarium. Life has also been busy with family visits - both sets of parents, one set of grandparents and the siblings. Finally I seem to have met all of the Berlin crowd, although evidently there are more in Rostock.
So this is a unicorn from the gates of the old city of Babylon... Dug up in 1907(?) and transported in full to Berlin and re-built. Just amazing.
Rest stop along the old Berlin Wall route. I had the privilege of riding the heavier bike, with heavy saddle bags and a too-low-saddle. However the saddle on F's bike is definitely made for men only, being knife-sharp and rock hard. So no option there then.
Warnemuende, on the Baltic sea coast. The feel of the place reminded me a lot of similar coastal villages in Holland.
I didn't go for a swim!! D, I need your encouragement - F is crap!!
A lovely jellyfish in the aquarium....
An inquisitive lizard at the aquarium. He caught my attention!
So, 4.5 hours to go before 2008 so I thought I would post this quick update on my activities... There are rockets and firecrackers going off everywhere and we thought we might try to catch the fireworks at the Brandenburger Tor at midnight. Along with a million other people. We'll see!!
Happy New Year to all!
1 comment:
Oh! You should have jumped i anyway - you know Fe would have joined you once you were in... at least that's what I always end up doing! Sof and I have already threatened the visiting French student with an April ocean swim before she leaves.
Post a Comment